The Victorian Building Authority describes and owner builder as someone who takes on most of the responsibility for domestic building work carried out on their land.

As an owner-builder you would need to obtain building permits, obtain insurance, supervise or undertake the building work, and ensure the work meets building regulations and standards.

In Victoria, an owner-builder can only build or renovate one house every three years, and must intend to live in the house once completed.

If you wish to be an owner-builder, and the value of the proposed building work is more than $16,000 (including labour costs and materials) you will need to apply for a certificate of consent.

Note: The owner-builder and building practitioner, contractor or tradesperson must enter into a written contract for domestic building work costing more than $5,000.

The certificate of consent must be provided to your building surveyor in order to obtain a building permit.

As an owner-builder, you will be given the same level of protection afforded to other consumers under the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995.